Sunday, June 12, 2016

8 sentence sunday

It's been a while since I did one of these but since I have a new book out I thought I'd offer a little taste. It's a WW2 set m/m paranormal story set in occupied France.

Renny has been running from soldiers in his wolf form. Injured he is looking for a place to hide and something to eat. He is tempted by the blacksmith's chickens...
~~~
The cold air bit into Renny’s bare skin, and his thigh throbbed. The bullet had been expelled when he shifted, and the wound was freshly closed. But it still ached and burned as his body continued to heal. The dead chicken in front of him no longer looked quite so tantalizing, and his mouth tasted like dirt and feathers. He was sure there was an incriminating feather stuck to his stubble, but he didn’t dare move in case the man with the rifle shot him. The brand on the back of his hand no longer looked fresh and raw. The scar was well healed but still red. His night vision was better than a human’s and he could see the scar, as well as feel it branded into his soul—the fleur-de-lys forever marking him as loup-garou by the Vichy soldiers. The man with the rifle stood there, staring with his mouth open as though he couldn’t quite believe what he’d just seen.


~~~

9 comments:

  1. I can understand his shock. I'd have a difficult time going with the flow if someone had just shifted before me. I like the idea of the bullet getting expelled by the change. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess raw chicken is less appealing in human form. :-) I love the premise for this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivid scene! Different from any other shifter story I've read, so I'm intrigued.Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the detail about the feather stuck to his beard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to guess, but I would say he'd just seen a shift. Nice snippet. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. So glad I visited. This is a great snippet! You have a wonderfully smooth writing style. And I'm really sucked into the story in just these few lines. Loved the line about the "incriminating feather stuck to his stubble."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine that the fellow with the gun is kind of startled if he saw the shift take place. Great visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent hook, TJ!
    Loved the feather evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice snippet. Feel a little sorry for the guy with the rifle. Really wasn't expecting that, was he?

    ReplyDelete